To keep up with my desire to focus on the positives, I’ve made a list of things that I am grateful for! #100thankfuldays, a spin off of the #100happydays challenge. Some things are obvious things to be thankful for, while others are grateful attitudes birthed from difficult situations.
Focusing on the things that I am thankful for WILL make my days happy.
I am sure I have plenty more to add to this list but I’ll stop at 100 for now. I think that sometimes being thankful is a CHOICE and I hope that by writing things down, I will be able to look at this list and remember to be thankful on days when life seems grey.
I’m not sure if I will post pictures because I really don’t think I can keep up with that but here is my list!
- My husband
- My sweetheart Evie
- My baby doll Alice
- My parents (always supporting us through everything!)
- My lil bro
- My Malaysian family
- My American family
- My popo who prays for us unceasingly
- My church family: Bethel and MMC
- My Bible study group
- Faraway friends who keep in touch
- Healthy family
- Skilled surgeons for my C-sections
- People who dream with us
- People who tell us hard things
- People who love us and show it!
- Two reliable cars
- My camera!
- My laptop and cellphones to keep in touch
- My awesome kitchen tools: AMC pots, Champion juicer, Thermomix, Crockpot, Bullet
- SO. MANY. TOYS.
- My piano! (and my husband’s guitar)
- Traveled to many countries
- Went to Rwanda with YWAM for a life changing experience
- TESOL experience
- Homeschooled and had lots of opportunities to try out new things
- Piano and guitar lessons
- Ability to work from home
Living in the country
- Feeling safe
- Lots of fresh air and gorgeous views
- So much space outside
- SO many stars
- No neighbors close by
- A giant garden!
- Evie learns to eat veggies from the garden!
- My babies experience REAL animals
- Ski resort is just down the road
- Gracious and caring landlords
Winter (and being snowed in!)
- Thankful for a warm house!
- Less activities, more time to reflect
- Learned to knit, crochet, and quilt
- Nurtured more imaginative play with Evie: legos, gi-joes, darth vader and not forgetting princesses.
- Evie learns to tell stories
- No car accidents!
- New snow experiences: snowmen, snow tunnels, skiing, tubing, sledding
Living away from my family
- Learned to adapt to a new home culture
- Developed authentic friendships
- Noticed the strengths and weaknesses in each culture
- Learned more about Chinese culture to share with my friends here!
- Learned how to make pineapple tarts, kaya, sesame balls, curry puffs, and lots of other Asian food!
- Discovered Whatsapp! with my friends, cousins AND uncles and aunties
- Very acquainted with Skype and FaceTime
- Developed compassion for aliens in a new country
Living on a low income
- Learned to make a budget
- Learned to live on less
- Learned to STILL make savings
- Developed a habit of making meal plans
- Learned many new recipes using beans and lentils
- My babies AND husband developing a wide palate
- Discovered Aldi and Glenwood Foods!
- Learned where to find the best deals
- Thankful for WIC
- Learned creative ways for fun free family activities
- Discovered the library
- Played outside with the kiddies more
- Thankful for hand-me-downs
- Learned to appreciate small things
- Our “treats” don’t have to be extravagant (Evie had her FIRST Happy Meal from Grandma last week and was very excited at the unexpected toy!)
- Learned humility in accepting gifts
- Learned to give as people have given to us
Having school debt
- Learned debt elimination strategies
- Learned about how debt and investment works
- Learned how to make wise financial decisions for the future
- Thankful for concerned friends who helped us kickstart our debt free goals
- Able to help others take steps to eliminate their debt
Living in a small house
- Less to clean!
- Learning to avoid clutter
- Not quick to buy new things (saves money!)
- My toddler learns to keep things in its place
- There aren’t as many places in the house to lose things (even though we never found the little pink phone!)
- We spend more time outside
- Have fun cookouts outdoors
- Thankful for kind family and friends who host parties for us!
- Have smaller parties but more often!
Having high blood pressure
- Motivation to exercise
- Learning the science behind what we eat
- Learning a variety of new recipes and eating habits
- My toddler acquires healthy taste preferences
- My husband is willing to eat what I eat
- Thankful for many friends around me who challenge me and keep me accountable
My husband losing his job
- More help around the house
- My babies having so much Daddy time
- He has had more time to participate in meaningful activities
- Learned to live on even less!
- Thankful for unemployment insurance
- Received so many thoughtful words of encouragement
- So many people praying for us
- Learned a deeper trust and security in God’s provision
- Learning contentment and patience
- Learning determination and endurance
16 Rejoice always, 17 pray continually, 18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. ~1 Thessalonians 5:16-18